The Senior Visual Designer will help conceive, design, and guide implementation of visual design concepts for the MATLAB and Simulink product families. The Designer will be responsible for creating product and feature level visual design specifications, specifying iconography, and reviewing or overseeing related design projects.
The Designer will be expected to partner with user interface leads/developers, usability staff, technical marketing, graphic design, engineering management, and other members of cross-functional teams to establish a forward looking framework for the visual appearance of MATLAB and Simulink. The Designer will be an expert on visual design directions for the Windows and MAC operating systems, as well as being well versed in new visual design paradigms emerging on the web. The Designer will be responsible for communicating these directions to a cross-functional team, and working collaboratively with developers to find appropriate visual design solutions for our product line.
The role will also include project management, and may include oversight of outside vendors or contract designers.
(1) Work with cross-functional teams (Engineering, Technical Marketing, Graphic Design, and Usability) to understand MathWorks product and branding directions and develop appropriate design solutions.
(2) Propose design solutions to cross-functional teams, taking industry and MathWorks trends into account; lead efforts to get agreement on visual design direction.
(3) Specify design guidelines, create, and oversee creation of product icons.
(4) Continuously explore visual design directions on Windows, Unix, MAC, and Web.
(5) Develop design specifications and create prototypes; validate these with Engineering, Technical Marketing, and Usability.
(6) Work with engineering and graphic design to translate visual design specs to implemented visual designs in shipping versions of MATLAB and Simulink.
(7) Manage large, complex projects from start to ship.
* 7+ years relevant experience in software visual design
* BS/MS in graphic or visual design
* Excellent visual design skills
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to work with highly technical development teams
* Ability to grasp technical concepts quickly and translate those to visual representations
* Strong portfolio available for viewing
* Strong attention to detail
* Ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively in fast-paced environment
* Demonstrated fluency with Photoshop, Illustrator, and other visual design tools
* Understanding of user interface design principles
* Working knowledge of PC, MAC and Web environments
* Experience with technical computing software a plus